The More You Know and Other Updates

As most of you know, I started this blog in 2010 to help me explain my own novel experiences to myself. It was the best place for me to rest my eyes when I was feeling alone and misunderstood about my SPD, and I'd write and re-read as if I were two different people seeking company across the chasm of the internet. I came up with words and phrases to meet the situations I was encountering - it was where handler came into my own personal nomenclature, as well as hit the deck (because drop to the ground when I feel overwhelmed and overstimulated felt just a bit too long). Sometimes, our community lacks terms for the things we do and the things we experience, and sometimes I'm just unfamiliar with the more popular term. This is what happened with my term neuroism.

Recently, after my last post, I heard the word ableism for the first time ever. Ableism is the discrimination in favor of able-bodied people, and it is said to include physical, mental, developmental, emotional, and psychiatric disabilities. I was very happy to learn that there's a broad term to describe the sorts of prejudice I'd experienced in my life with SPD, but I had mixed feelings about the term - mostly because of its all-encompassing reach, but also because I don't always consider SPD to be a disability (remember my post on differences, disorder, and disability?) - nor do I think it necessarily falls into the categories of physical, mental, etc. above, but rather spans some sometimes. I think in time, we should come up with our own variation on the term to hone in on the unique neurological, psychological, physical, differences, disorder, disability melting pot that is a life with SPD.

Nonetheless, I am still learning about my sensory life just like all of you. My SPD awareness is nearly five years old, and much like other five-year-olds, sometimes it just wants to sprawl on the floor, pop its thumb in its mouth, and watch Chuggington for the thousandth time. I didn't start out as a voice of the community, I started out as just a voice in need of hearing. I am so thrilled to be heard, and I am even more thrilled to continue my sensory education.

Thanks for being a part of my journey!

PROJECT UPDATES:

My next piece for Sensory Focus Magazine will be out this fall, so stay tuned.

I am also thrilled to be Dr. Sharon Heller's first case study in her next printing of Uptight and Off Center coming out later this summer. I wrote my own case study of myself, which was a very special challenge, so not only am I the leading case, I am the author of the leading case. Thanks again to Sharon for this unique opportunity!

Comments

Popular Posts